Paths to Literacy blogger Linda Hagood will be offering a 7-week online class this summer through Perkins eLearning. This online course provides theoretical and practical information for teaching social communication skills to students with visual impairment and autism.
Starting on July 18 and running through September 4, 2016 the online class runs for 7 weeks. This course, based on an activity-rich curriculum guide, will provide theoretical and practical information for teaching social communication skills to the growing population of students with combined challenges of visual impairment and autism. Through reading, discussion and hands-on practice, participants will improve their confidence and skills in working with this challenging group of students.
The course objectives are that participants will become better able to:
- Use 3 different criterion-referenced tools to evaluate and select teaching objectives for students with visual impairment and atypical social development.
- Demonstrate and practice a repertoire of unit-based activities for teaching social communication skills to students with visual impairment and atypical social development.
- Give examples of skills in each of four domains in the Better Together curriculum: Social interaction, Communication, Social Cognition, and Emotional Development.
- Explain the importance of engagement and relationship-building in teaching students who have visual impairment and atypical social development or autism.
- Describe and practice effective strategies for building relationships with students who have visual impairment and atypical social development/autism.
- Write and document progress on observable and measurable relationship-based objectives for students who have visual impairment and atypical social development/autism.
- Assess the effectiveness of teaching strategies and adjust as needed to facilitate student growth.
The textbook is available through Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
Various types of credits will be offered, including ASHA, graduate credits, ACVREP, PDPs, and CEUs.
For registration and more information, visit: http://www.perkinselearning.org/earn-credits/online-class/autism-and-vis...