Perkins School for the Blind offers a 5-part online training module on functional literacy for students with visual impairments and additional disabilities, which is available for purchase. This self-paced tutorial uses the text Keys to Educational Success: Teaching Students with Visual Impairments and Multiple Disabilities, which is available from AFB Press. This is a web-based, self-guided professional development activity for educators, families, and TVIs, as well as related service providers.
- Introduction to Functional Literacy
- Creating a Literacy-Rich Environment
- Assessment and Program Planning
- Strategies for Modifying Literacy Activities
- Literacy and Struggling Readers
- Math Literacy
Participants can earn 25 ACVREP credits or 25 PDPs by completing the activities and quizzes. All assignments are required in order to receive education credits. You may also choose to register without credits.