"Learning to Read is a Family Affair" was developed by the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association (TSHA) and is available in English and in Spanish. These brochures are available to download for free.
Tips for choosing books to read aloud for children
- birth to one year
- one to three years
- three to five years
- primary school age
Tips for reading aloud to children include:
- Begin reading to your child soon after he or she is born.
- Set aside a special read-aloud time each day.
- Remember to make read-aloud time a "snuggle" time.
- Have a variety of books available for your child.
- Choose good books.
- Familiarize yourself with each book before reading it to your child.
- Introduce each book to your child.
- Try to match reading time to your child's attention span and comfort level.
- Ask questions that have more than one answer (i.e. not "yes" or "no" questions).
- Remember that your child's interests and preferences for certain types of books will change with age and development.
- Read familiar favorites over and over.
- Remind your child, "Be nice to your books. They are your friends."