This hands-on braille and early literacy activity is designed to help children with visual impairments to understand initial letter sounds.
- Circles of card, or base and top covers from pack of CD’s (illustrated)
- Objects beginning with the letters of "Caterpillar"
- Braille labels with object names (whole word and/or initial letter sounds)
- Recordable pegs (optional)
- Develop initial letter sounds
- Match the correct object to the correct letter sound
- Spelling the word ‘Caterpillar’ putting the letters in order
- Write a poem/story about a caterpillar
- Make a number line- replace letters with numbers, add number words and numbers in digits, add appropriate number of objects to each box
- Add in the letter sounds on recordable pegs and clip to, or place in the box for the child to listen to.
- Add textures to the circles
- Make a fun collage head for the caterpillar
- Stick the caterpillar on the wall, curling and glueing its body into an arch