Using a variety of mediums for drawing is essential in encouraging pre-writing skills in children. Drawing with colored ice cubes is not only a unique medium to work in, but also provides a special sensory element to writing and drawing.
- Food coloring
- Ice cube tray
- Add different colors of food coloring to water
- Freeze colored water in ice cube tray
- Have children put on gloves to protect fingers from ice
- Separate ice cubes by color
- Have children draw freely or color and draw specific pictures on paper!
- Freeze ice cubes into different shapes and sizes
- Freeze ice cubes with popsicles into them if children find touching the ice with gloves too cold