Just how many programs are there to teach the braille code? How many teach reading?How long does it take to get through?How long does it take to learn the whole code?Why wait so long?
Here's What I Do...
- Pick a program that is going to present the overall skills that will be primary towards their need: lots of simple practice, learning to read as well as learn the code, learn braille as a second media, etc.
- Then, off we go. I don't wait. Letters. Letter words. High frequency words (the, of, where, etc.). After that...
Categories! Easy- Strong Wordsigns and other Wordsigns are "Stand Alones"
- Dot 5
- Dot 4,5 and 4,5,6
- Short Forms
- Dot 4,6 and 5,6
- Once you get towards the end, sort, re-sort, and sort again.
- For extra practice: Beginning Braille from Exceptional Teaching Inc.
- To help with category instruction ideas: Bee Bop Braille from Braille Innovations - Bee Bop Braille Power Point
- To be able to have cards with easy access to categorization, sturdy, and usable indefinitely, Categorized Braille Cards from Braille Innovation