This activity is a nice way to motivate beginning readers in a play setting, using word cards in braille or print to label the items in the picnic basket.
- This game is available from LeapFrog toys and can be purchased online or at a large number of big retail stores.
- Word cards in print or braille for each of the items in the picnic basket
- Have the student(s) set up the items from the picnic basket by placing them in the correct shape form. The picnic basket is electronic and says "Open" and "Close".
- Ask the student to pick a word card, read the card, and find the corresponding item.
- Place the item in the picnic basket and press the button for an auditory reinforcement.
- This activity can be done individually or with a small group.
- Adaptation for Dual Media: write print on back of cards and have the student read braille on the front of the card.