What is Project INSPIRE?
Project INSPIRE is a 5-year training grant to support braille literacy for professionals and students to build their skills and knowledge in the braille codes for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) courses.
What two courses are being offered at no cost?
- Nemeth Code Symbols for Fractions and Spatial Problems, Instructional Tools, Materials, and Technology [Repeat from Fall 2020]
- Geometry and Tactile Graphics for Students in Grades 3 to 8
Who are the target groups for the courses?
- Teachers of students with visual impairments
- Paraprofessionals who support braille readers
- Individuals who are preparing braille materials
- University students preparing to become teachers of students with visual impairments
How are the courses structured?
Participants will: (a) complete a pre-test, (b) complete 7 self-paced lessons, and (c) complete a post-test.
What are the logistics of the courses?
- Dates: February 15, 2021 to March 29, 2021
- Delivery Model: All materials will be online. There will be optional assignments with answer keys provided.
- Time Commitment:12 to 15 hours
- Topics: Nemeth Code symbols, teaching strategies and materials, designing and teaching students to use tactile graphics
- Happy Hours: There will be four optional happy hours scheduled weekly on course-related topics.
How can I learn more and sign up for a course?
Please complete the sign-up form at https://uofsc.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4UtYonQ85smhJrv. You will then receive additional information the morning of February 15. You may only sign up for one course at a time.
For more information email: email@example.com
Phone: 864-503-5572 with questions
https://www.uscupstate.edu/project-inspire/Facebook (Project Inspire: Increasing STEM Braille Potential)