What is Project INSPIRE?
Project INSPIRE is a 5-year training grant to support braille literacy for professionals and students to build their skills and knowledge in the braille codes for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) courses.
What two courses are being offered at no cost?
- Introduction to Nemeth Code Symbols and Instruction for Pre-K to 1st Grade
- Introduction to Nemeth Code Symbols and Instruction for Grades 2-5
Who are the target groups for the courses?
- Teachers of students with visual impairments
- Paraprofessionals who support braille readers
- Individuals who are preparing braille materials
- University students preparing to become teachers of students with visual impairments
How are the courses structured?
Participants will: (a) complete a pre-test, (b) complete 7 self-paced lessons, and (c) complete a post-test.
What are the logistics of the courses?
- Dates: June 22, 2020 to July 31, 2020
- Delivery Model: All materials will be online. There will be optional assignments with answer keys provided.
- Time Commitment: 12 to 15 hours
- Topics: Nemeth Code symbols, formatting materials, teaching strategies and materials, & digital workflow
How can I learn more and sign up for a course?
- Please complete the sign-up form and you will then receive additional information in mid-June. You may only sign up for one course at a time.
- For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 864-503-5572 with questions
- Facebook: Project Inspire: Increasing STEM Braille Potential