National Symposium on Learning Disabilities in English Language Learners
The NICHD (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development) and two other federal agencies jointly organized a National Symposium on Learning Disabilities in English Language Learners, October 14-15, 2003, with the goal of determining how best to apply knowledge about identifying and assessing learning disabilities in native English-speaking students to the identification and assessment of learning disabilities in ELL students. In addition, symposium participants discussed ways to distinguish between actual learning disabilities and the challenges associated with learning a new language.
Table of Contents
- The Big Picture: Who and Why?
- Issues in ELL Measurement And Assessment
- Cultural Aspects of Assessment
- Assessment/Measurement Instruments to Detect/Predict Problems
- Use of Technology in the Assessment/Screening and Support for LD Students
- Learning English as an Additional Language
- Small Working Group Reports