BRAILLE FUNdamentals has been updated by Shannon Darst, Ph.D. to comply with Unified English Braille Code (UEB).
Braille FUNdamentals is a comprehensive program for teaching the braille code. The sequence for introducing the braille symbols has been organized into 56 clusters of letters, numerals, wordsigns, strong contractions, groupsigns, shortform words, initial-letter contractions, punctuation indicators, and special symbols, with specific clusters devoted to reading practice. Within each cluster an extensive set of instructional materials is provided. Also included are a Pre-Braille Evaluation, two Braille Evaluations, ideas for tracking practice and ideas for games.
Braille FUNdamentals is written at four levels and is organized as follows:
- Introduction & Evaluation Booklet
- Primary Level – grades K-2 (Clusters 1-56)
- Upper Elementary Level – grades 3, 4, 5 (Clusters 1-56)
- Middle School Level – grades 6, 7, 8 (Clusters 1-56)
- High School Level – grades 9, 10, 11, 12 (Clusters 1-56)
All lessons include the following instructional components:
- Review of three previous clusters
- Introduction of new symbol(s)
- Discrimination of new symbol(s)
- Listening Activities
- Literature Activities
- Reading Activities
- Writing Activities
Cluster 54 has been purposefully omitted from the primary level because of the complexity of the contractions.
It is available for purchase through Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI).