Welcome to the free, self-paced courses available through Project INSPIRE: Increasing the STEM Potential of Individuals Who Read Braille, a 5-year grant funded by the US Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (H235E190003). Twice a year we will be adding additional courses so please check back for additional courses.
Our Courses for Those Supporting Braille Learners
Our free, self-paced courses are for TVIs, paraprofessionals, those who prepare braille, and others who want to support braille learners.
The following courses are available:
- Course 1: Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts and Strategies for Supporting the Pre-K-1st Grade Student in Building Math Skills
- Course 2: An Introduction to Nemeth Code Symbols Used in Grades 2 to 5 and Strategies for Supporting Elementary Students in Building Math Skills
- Course 3: Grades 2-5: Nemeth Code Symbols for Fractions and Spatial Problems, Instructional Tools, Materials, and Technology
- Course 4: Geometry and Tactile Graphics for Students in Grades 3 to 8
Nemeth in a Box Materials
As part of Project INSPIRE’s commitment to increase STEM braille literacy we have designed Nemeth in a Box for Middle School Students. Nemeth in a Box is seven lessons that teachers of students with visual impairments (TSVIs) or others (e.g., paraprofessionals, family members) can use to review and/or introduce Nemeth Code symbols at the middle level and review math concepts in a fun way.
- Project INSPIRE will offer our previously developed 5 courses for professional development hours. Information will be available on how to sign up for courses in September 2022.
- For Middle School Students: We will offer a UEB in a Box experience.
- For Professionals: We will offer Course 6: Nemeth Code Symbols Used in High School and Strategies for Supporting STEM Learning.