The Sight Word Parking Lot provides students with an engaging way to practice word recognition skills. This activity can be played with a teacher and a student or used in centers where students play with each other. Students with or without visual impairments can benefit from the Sight Word Parking Lot.
- a white board
- puffy paint
- book laminate for braille labels
- a few small cars
- This activity has the student “park” a toy car in a parking space matching a particular word provided by the teacher.
- Teachers select several high frequency words students are likely to encounter in the texts they are reading and write and/or braille these items around the edge of a board.
- The game gives the student multiple exposures to the same words, which helps to build speed and confidence in recognizing high frequency words.
- This activity could be easily adapted to provide additional practice with contractions, letter recognition, or even numerals.