A simple resource which has a multitude of fun, creative learning and development ideas within. Here are some ideas to inspire you from Positive Eye!
You will need:
- 1 bucket (preferably a bright coloured one, this is a metal one from IKEA)
- A selection of objects from around the environment
- A set of tickets naming the objects (laminated, if preferred)
- Velcro to attach tickets to outside of bucket
- Shapes to decorate the bucket
The resource is quick to make and can involve the child!
Step 1: Decorate the bucket
Step 2: Add your objects to the bucket
Step 3: Make your tickets and Velcro to the outside of the bucket
Learning and development suggestions
- Velcro textures to the outside and place matching texture in bucket for child to find and explore
- Velcro textures to the outside and place matching shape in bucket for child to find and explore
- Velcro textures to the outside and place matching objects in bucket for child to find and explore
- Velcro objects/textures with different sounds to the outside and place matching sound in bucket for child to find and recognise
Match initial letter sounds
- Child to match initial letter sound on each ticket to correct object in bucket
- Child to match word on each ticket to correct object in bucket
- Collect objects beginning with particular letter
- Collect objects with two attributes, three attributes
- Collect natural objects (e.g. made of metal, wood, collect different shaped leaves)
- Place number tickets on Velcro spots around bucket. Choose a number and count correct amount of objects, perhaps with a particular initial letter sound into the bucket, from a selection placed on a tray.
- Fill the bucket with water, find out how heavy the bucket is when it is full.
- Place each object in the water find out which float and which sink.
- Make a chart on a magnetic board of those that sink and those that float.
- Fill the bucket with sand and make a massive sandcastle!
- Make a castle using the bucket to make sandcastle turrets.
- Turn the bucket upside down and play it is a drum with hands, with wooden spoons! Make different sounds from loud banging to quiet tapping.
Make up a story or a poem about the bucket!
- Include the child in thinking about the story, what happened one Saturday when Dad wanted his car washing and the bucket had a hole in it, what happened next......
There are more ideas on Positive Eye's website https://www.positiveeye.co.uk/resources/