The Word Family Spinners activity will help students to recognize patterns among words, which will increase the student’s word recognition accuracy and support fluent reading. The teacher can make many spinners for different word families and build the student’s confidence while reading and having fun.
- card stock paper
- clear laminate for the braille
- a paper fastener
- The teacher should first have the student read the ending written on the rectangular piece.
- Initially, the teacher and the student should work together, adding the beginning sounds written on the wheel.
- Later, the student can work independently or with a classmate to complete the activity.
- The large print and braille on the word family spinner makes this activity appropriate for all types of learners in the classroom.