Once printed curricular materials are obtained, the following steps need to be taken to deliver brailled materials to the teacher/student:
- Type the printed material into a Word document that special features have been added (such as information on braille)
- Save the document
- Open Duxbury program. (Duxbury is a braille transcription program)
- Open the word document in the Duxbury program
- Translate the document…the document will now be viewed in braille on the monitor instead of in print
- Review the document for formatting, etc.
If it is a worksheet or such, you’re done after reviewing it one last time for accuracy! Attach it to the printed material and give to the teacher. I like to add print to the material so if the student needs help, the teacher is able to assist without any difficulty.
If it is labels for a book, for example, after embossing, you need to cut it and place it on the printed material before returning to the teacher.