As students read for information and answer multiple choice questions while following a recipe, this hands-on activity will help students who are visually impaired or blind with:
- Ability to read braille document and answer four multiple choice questions
- Knowledge of fractions
- Ability to read and follow directions for a recipe containing fractions
- Knowledge of kitchen rules, including hand washing and safety
- Handskills to identify measuring cups and ability to measure out ingredients
- Review and discuss reading and questions.
- Review recipe and set-up of materials that will be in the kitchen.
- Review fractions and measuring cups used and how they relate to each other.
- In the kitchen, follow prior procedures for kitchen skills. (hand washing, aprons)
- At individual set-ups, review location of materials and recipe. Re-read recipe.
- Discuss recipe, questions to recall information from reading and recipe.
- Using serving bowls, pass ingredients to each other to measure out individual amounts.
- With a staff, use electric hand or tabletop mixer.
- At conclusion, review what we did.
Common Core State Standards
Math Standard NF 3.1: Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/b.
ELA Standard RL 3.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language.