- Plastic dish pan
- Rice krispies
- Spray bottle with water
- Small plastic animals, bugs and/or wind up toys
- Plastic shovel (optional)
- Fill dish pan about 1/2 full with Rice Krispies
- Hide small plastic animals, bugs or wind up toys in the cereal
- Allow child to spray Rice Krispie treats to hear the ‘snap, crackle and pop’ and then dig (using the shovel) for the hidden toys!
- Use coffee beans instead of cereal to dig for treasure and to play ‘coffee shop’. This would add the sensory experience of smell to the activity (spray bottle unneeded).
- Fill the dish pan with beans, rice, pom poms, rocks, sand or any variety of textures to gain different sensory experiences
- Use brightly colored fruit loops for kids with visual impairments
- Use different utensils for ‘digging’ including tongs, kitchen utensils and brushes
Inspired by: https://messymotherhood.com/