Seeing AI is a free iOS app from Microsoft that is designed to provide audio descriptions of the world to people with visual impairments. Users point their phone's camera and turn the visual world into an audible experience with descriptions of people, text, and objects, using the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Short Text - Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
- Documents - Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognizes the text, along with its original formatting.
- Products - Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available. (works with iPhone 6 and later)
- People - Saves people’s faces so you can recognize them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
- Scenes (early preview) - Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
- Images in other apps - Just tap “Share” and “Recognize with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
Watch this introductory overview of Seeing AI:
Other video tutorials include:
- Short Text Demo: Learn how to instantly hear short snippets of text
- Document Demo: A guide on how to make the most of the Document channel
- Product Recognition Demo: Listen to audio cues to locate barcodes and identify products
- Person Demo: Learn how to use Seeing AI to engage with people around you
- Scene Demo: Learn more about this experimental channel that describes what’s in front of you
- Currency Demo: A guide for using the app to read currency bills (coming soon)
- Recognize Images In Other Apps: Describe images in your photo gallery and other apps including Mail, Twitter, WhatsApp and more