We have made it a tradition that my son Liam (who is deafblind) and his little brother Finn, each get to decorate their own small Christmas tree. Every year, I introduce new items they get to add to their tree. We decorate our tree in this order: First we add the tree skirts, then the Christmas lights, Christmas string and ornaments. We save their favorite part for last; adding the star to the top of the tree!
- Pencil zipper pouches
- Tree with decorations
- Items to represent the decorations you put on the tree
- A binder to put pencil pouches in
- Braille to label the pouches
Why our family loves experience books:
- Experience books are tools that give Liam opportunities to share his experiences with others.
- Encourages conversations in a way that is meaningful to Liam.
- Gives Liam a sense of ownership.
- More opportunities for exposure to braille
- Sequencing events/steps
Other Christmas Experience Book Possibilities:
- Frosting Christmas cookies
- Visiting Santa
- Christmas parties/events