Welcome to the free, self-paced courses available through Project INSPIRE: Increasing the STEM Potential of Individuals Who Read Braille, a 5-year grant funded by the US Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (H235E190003). Twice a year we will be adding additional courses so please check back for additional courses.
Our Courses for Those Supporting Braille Learners
Our free, self-paced courses are for TVIs, paraprofessionals, those who prepare braille, and others who want to support braille learners. Twice a year we will be adding additional courses so please check back for additional courses.
The following courses are available:
- Course 1: Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts and Strategies for Supporting the Pre-K-1st Grade Student in Building Math Skills
- Course 2: An Introduction to Nemeth Code Symbols Used in Grades 2 to 5 and Strategies for Supporting Elementary Students in Building Math Skills
- Course 3: Grades 2-5: Nemeth Code Symbols for Fractions and Spatial Problems, Instructional Tools, Materials, and Technology
Nemeth in a Box Materials
As part of Project INSPIRE’s commitment to increase STEM braille literacy we have designed Nemeth in a Box for Middle School Students. Nemeth in a Box is seven lessons that teachers of students with visual impairments (TSVIs) or others (e.g., paraprofessionals, family members) can use to review and/or introduce Nemeth Code symbols at the middle level and review math concepts in a fun way.
Spring 2022 Offerings:
- For Professionals: Course 5: Nemeth Code Symbols Used in the Middle Grades and Strategies for Supporting Math Learning is being offered from February 14 to March 18, 2022. Download the flyer. The flyer contains the registration form link. You must register to take the course. Register now!
- For Middle School Students: We are offering Nemeth in a Box. This is a 6-Saturday online, fun activity for middle school students. Download the flyer and share it with students and families. Families must complete the online registration form for their child to be considered for Nemeth in a Box. Register now!
- In April and May we will be sponsoring “Mission INSPIRE” which is an online STEM Bowl event. Please visit back here to learn more in late February 2022.
Summer and Fall 2022
In Summer and Fall 2022 we will offer Course 6 which will focus on Nemeth Code Symbols Used in High School and Strategies for Supporting STEM Learning.
For students we will offer a UEB Technical in a Box experience. Check back in the late spring for more information.